Monday, February 13, 2012

Worldview

     I've  been hearing a lot about worldview lately and how it is 'how you perceive religion'.  But it got me thinking: shouldn't your worldview impact every area of your life, not just your view of religion?  When you think about it, your worldview isn't just how you view religion, but rather how you filter the world, (hence worldview), to match your beliefs based upon your religion.  For example, let's say all my friends are going to go see the new hit movie The Woman In Black, and I want to go see it as well.  If I'm careful and discerning about the things of this world as the Bible says I should be, I'll filter it through the Bible.  Often times I'll ask questions like "Is this worthy of my time?  My money?  What is the message being portrayed?  Is it made in excellence?"  And the biggest question of all: "How will this affect my actions and thoughts afterwards?"  I consider that the biggest question because any and all media will either provoke our sinful nature to pursue the junk we should avoid, or it will encourage the qualities God wants to see in our lives: kindness, courage, compassion, faithfulness, etc.  For me personally, I have noticed that the sins don't come WHILE I'm watching/listening/playing the ungodly media, they come AFTER.  This is because these things encourage my sin nature to do what feels good, whether I realize it or not.  The opposite happens when I put godly things in my head, and trust me, God honors these wise decisions.   

No comments:

Post a Comment