Monday, November 7, 2011

I Need Your Help!!

     My family and I have served for many years at a homeless shelter in Fort Worth called Beautiful Feet, where we would categorize clothes, hand out toiletries, and serve food to the homeless.  I met up with a former leader at Beautiful Feet whose passion was in that area of ministry.  As we drove around the areas of downtown Fort Worth I would usually try to avoid, he pointed out how many homeless people either had or desperately needed backpacks.  "Backpacks are kind of like their home", he told me.  "Since they don't have a room or closet to put their stuff in, they need backpacks to keep everything together and not stolen."  
     We also met a homeless couple while walking around the "hood".  When asked what is one thing they would like to tell me, the woman said, "Obviously stay away from drugs and alcohol, but the main reason we're in this situation is because of gangs.  Stay out of 'em.  They tell you they've got your back, that you're "family", but they don't.  Do that, and you'll be good to go."  She then hugged me with tear-filled eyes, and we continued on our way.  Did I feel uncomfortable at first?  Uh, yea! But sometimes discomfort is what God uses to have us grow. 
     These people are just like us, and they need our help!  So, I need YOUR help to collect backpacks for these people so they can have a "home" to put their stuff.  Let's face it, we all get a new backpack every couple of years or so, right?  Those old backpacks start to pile up!  Why not give them to people who really need them?  If you feel led, find a backpack and fill it with essentials. (Toiletries, deodorant, maybe even a scripture!)  And bring them to school!  I will be collecting them the week of November 28 after school, so mark the dates.  Please pray for me as I get this project going! 


Deuteronomy 15:11 "There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land."

No comments:

Post a Comment